Skip to main content

Full text of "Assorted Media District BID Emails 2015-16"

See other formats

Subject: A check-in with Chief Beck

From: Mitch O'Farrell <councilmember.ofarrell@lacity.org>

Date: 02/1 9/201 6 05:06 PM

To: lisa@mecliadistrict.org

Friend -

This week in Public Safety Committee, Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) Chief Charlie Beck
provided us with a report on the state of our police force and the spike in crime over the past year. Chief
Beck reported that the department must hire 2,500 additional officers in the coming years to better
protect the city and keep crime down. The current size of the ranks is about 10,000 officers.

During the committee meeting, I hammered on the issue about not enough LAPD officers being street
ready. The industry standard for street ready officers is 90 percent. Only about 82 percent of our LAPD
officers are street ready - in other words, about 18 percent of officers are working desk jobs, or taking
leaves of absence because of injuries. This translates into approximately 1860 officers being unable to
perform duties out on the street.

The City has a slow process of getting officers back on the job, which is hindering the way we protect
our communities. On top of this, our ability to hire more officers is made even more complicated by a
time consuming and expensive process, and one that does not happen overnight.

The immediate fix: we need to revise our policies to get more officers on the streets, and get civilians
hired, so active duty officers can get out from behind the desk and out on patrol.

Public safety is my number one priority in office, and I will continue to identify ways we can place more
officers on the streets to keep our communities safer.

Speaking of keeping our communities safer, expect an announcement this coming week related to
Hollywood! As you'll read in the updates below, together we are working to improve the quality of life
across every section of the 13th District.

Regards,

COMING UP

MON 2/22 CITY COMMITTEE TO HEAR O’FARRELL MOTION ON UNPERMITTED STREET TREE
TRIMMING AND REMOVAL

SAT 2/27 COUNCILMEMBER IN YOUR CORNER - GLASSELL PARK

HEADLINES

100 affordable units added to 13th District [BEVERLY PRESS ]
Crews begin work on Barnsdall Park [BEVERLY PRESS ]

City officials back ballot measure to reform LADWP [LA TIMES]

ADVISORY: LADOT ANNOUNCES HOLLYWOOD STREET CLOSURES FOR OSCARS

HOLLYWOOD - The City of Los Angeles is preparing itself for the 88th Oscars! In an effort to mitigate
increased traffic in the area and to ensure public safety, the City of Los Angeles Department of
Transportation (LADOT) has finalized street closures for the following areas.

READ MORE

CITY OFFICIALS DEDICATE SUNSET JUNCTION STREETSCAPE IMPROVEMENTS

SILVER LAKE - City Councilmember Mitch O’Farrell, the Los Angeles Bureau of Street Services (BSS),
the Los Angeles Department of Transportation (LADOT), and members of the Silver Lake community on
Wednesday dedicated streetscape improvements that enhance the visitor experience along Sunset
Boulevard in Sunset Junction.

READ MORE

PHOTOS: WALKING IN LA

LOS ANGELES - City Councilmember Mitch O'Farrell is working on neighborhood improvements to
enhance your quality of life and make our streets safer for pedestrians. The Councilmember has
collaborated with the Department of Transportation to install several pedestrian enhancements like the
one dedicated in Silver Lake this past week. Since taking office in July of 2013, the Councilmember has
completed 21 pedestrian safety measures across the district. Many more are on the way.

PHOTOS: PEDESTRIAN SAFETY ENHANCEMENTS ACROSS THE 13TH DISTRICT

TEAM MITCH MAKING A DIFFERENCE - BARTON AVENUE

EAST HOLLYWOOD - One of our Council District 13 field deputies came across this neglected street
median on Barton Ave, and sent a request to the CD 13 Clean Team. The Councilmember is working
with the community, LAPD, and the neighborhood prosecutor to improve the quality of life and beautify
the area around Western and Barton.

TEAM MITCH MAKING A DIFFERENCE - SUNSET BOULEVARD AND BENTON WAY

SILVER LAKE - The CD 13 Clean Team helps to regularly maintain this bus stop area on Sunset Blvd
and Benton Way in Silver Lake. The office also continues to partner with LA Conservation Corps and the
Silver Lake Improvement Association on larger beautification projects in the community. See an area in
your neighborhood that needs attention? Contact my community organizer Sylvan De La Cruz at 213-
207-3015

SEE MORE BEFORE AND AFTER PHOTOS ON FACEBOOK

PHOTO OF THE WEEK

This email was sent to lisa(a)mediadistrict.orq . To stop receiving emails, click here .

ELYSIAN VALLEY - Team Mitch visited Wax Paper on Knox Avenue for the latest Lunch Bunch. The
monthly dining event serves to highlight some of the great local and independently owned small
businesses in the great 13th District. Visit Wax Paper for a menu .

FOLLOW THE COUNCILMEMBER ON INSTAGRAM FOR DAILY UPDATES